Popular Japanese manga Ghost in the Shell is being brought to life on the big screen later this month, with Hollywood A-lister Scarlett Johansson leading the cast as The Major, a human woman who is cyber-enhanced to become a perfect crime-fighting soldier.
The sci-fi action flick takes place in the near future, when a dangerous new form of terrorism involves people’s minds being hacked into and controlled. In the midst of preparing to stop the threat, The Major makes a shocking discovery: her life was stolen from her, not saved. Now, she will stop at nothing to find out who did this to her – and stop them before they do it to someone else.
To get you excited for Ghost in the Shell before it hits local cinemas March 30, we’ve rounded up some fun facts about the movie:
1. The Major has been touted as one of Scarlett’s most gruelling roles of her career, with the 32-year-old actress spending over a year learning how to handle the weapons, master the fight moves and stunts, and get familiar with the wirework.
2. Singapore represent! Our very own Chin Han stars as former cop Togusa, who is the only member of the team without any cyber-enhancements. Because of this, he’s very suspicious of technology and relies on old-school techniques when investigating.
3. In addition to Chin Han, the rest of the cast includes actors from many other parts of the world, including Japan, New Zealand, Australia, France, England, Canada, Zimbabwe, Denmark, Poland, Turkey, Fiji, China, Romania and Belgium. This is in line with director Rupert Sanders’ vision for the film: a multicultural, multi-ethnic future world.
4. Almost every character in the film has some form of prosthetic or prop-built augmentation, which is why thousands of background extras were made up in additional to the principal cast. For the street scenes in Hong Kong, there were groups of 120 people for each of the last few days, each sporting an extensive look.
5. Most of the men’s sharp suits were created by a company called Rembrandt, which is the last and oldest suit maker in New Zealand.
Ghost in the Shell opens in cinemas on March 30. Rating to be advised.
Toggle is giving away 10 pairs of tickets to the preview screening of Ghost in the Shell, courtesy of United International Pictures.
Ghost in the Shell preview screening details
Date: March 28 (Tuesday)
Venue: Shaw Lido
For your chance to win, simply answer the following question. Entries with the correct answers will be picked at random to win.
Question: The cast of Ghost in the Shell includes actors from ___ (name 5 countries).
Email your answer together with your name, NRIC, residential address, email address and contact number to email@example.com with the subject ‘Toggle Ghost in the Shell’
Contest ends March 23 and winners will be notified via email. *Terms and conditions apply.
© 2017 Par. Pics
* Terms and Conditions
- Entries submitted after the deadline will not be entertained.
- Toggle reserves the right to pick final winners. No correspondence will be entertained.
- Entry submission forms that are incomplete will be disqualified.
- Previous week's winners will not be qualified to win.
- You can submit unlimited entries, but each family is entitled to win only once. Same contact address will be considered as the same family.
- Any proof-of-entry printouts cannot be used as proof that Toggle has received your submission.
- Toggle reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the contest without prior notice.
- Winners will be informed via email/phone call from which details of prize collection will be stated.
- Prizes not collected by the given date will be considered null and void.
- Prizes are non-transferable and non-exchangeable for cash.
- By entering the contest, you agree to be informed of any future promotions related to Toggle.