Photos: Golden Village Pictures
Directed by Shim Sung-bo, who co-wrote Memories of Murder, this South Korean thriller based on true events is adapted from a play of the same name.
Telling the story of a group of fishermen of the fishing vessel Junjin, the captain of the boat, Captain Kang (played by Kim Yoon-seok) is forced to a corner when he finds out his entire crew is in danger of losing their livelihood after the owner of the ship chooses to sell it.
He decided to take on a dangerous job of smuggling illegal immigrants into South Korea without letting his crew – comprising of ship engineer Wan-Ho (Moon Sung-keun), his loyal right-hand man Ho-young (Kim Sang-ho), money-minded Kyung-koo (You Seung-mok), dimwit Chang-wook (Lee-Hee-jun), and newbie Dong-sik (JYJ’s Park Yu-chun) know.
When the ship arrived at the pre-arranged location in the middle of a thunderstorm, a Chinese vessel appeared and began unloading Korean-Chinese migrants. A young woman, Hong Mae (Han Ye-ri), hesitated and when she finally jumped, she fell short of Junjin and plunged into the sea.
Dong-sik ignored Captain Kang’s orders and jumped in to save Hong Mae, falling in love with her slowly. The boat was told to stall in the open waters for a day, sparking off concerns among the migrants. When Captain Kang could not take the unrest and started violently beating them, Hong Mae asks Dong-sik to save the migrants and tragedy started to unfold.
Calling it “a story that is completely unpredictable from beginning to end”, Sung-bo wanted to study how humans react and reveal their true nature under those circumstances. Producer Bong Joon-ho was so deeply captivated by the story that “it was impossible not to make HAEMOO into a movie.”
HAEMOO opens in cinemas on Oct 16.
Preview Screening details
Date: 14 Oct 2014 (Tuesday)
Venue: GV Plaza, Plaza Singapura Hall 8
Rating: at least M18
xinmsn is giving away 20 pairs of tickets to the preview screening of HAEMOO, courtesy of Golden Village Pictures.
Simply answer the following question and 20 correct entries will be picked to win.
Question: What is the name of the fishing vessel?
Email your answer together with your name, NRIC, residential address, email address and contact number to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject 'xinmsn HAEMOO’.
Contest ends Oct 12 and winners will be notified via email. *Terms and conditions apply.
* Terms and Conditions
- The contest is open to Singapore residents only.
- Entries submitted after the deadline will not be entertained.
- xinmsn reserves the right to pick final winners. No correspondence will be entertained.
- Entry submission forms that are incomplete will be disqualified.
- Previous week's winners will not be qualified to win.
- You can submit unlimited entries, but each family is entitled to win only once. Same contact address will be considered as the same family.
- Any proof-of-entry printouts cannot be used as proof that xinmsn has received your submission.
- xinmsn reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the contest without prior notice.
- Winners will be informed via email/phone call from which details of prize collection will be stated.
- Prizes not collected by the given date will be considered null and void.
- Prizes are non-transferable and non-exchangeable for cash.
- By entering the contest, you agree to be informed of any future promotion related to xinmsn.