Half a year after bringing us back to the not-so-old days of catchy campaigns, park protests and terrorist tales, the Dim Sum Dollies are returning to the stage to take us even further into the past with The History of Singapore Part 1 – just in time for SG50.
Get ready to meet colourful characters such as Samsui Women, Rickshaw Pullers, Kamikaze Pilots and even Sang Nila Utama, as portrayed by the Dollies Selena Tan, Pam Oei, Denise Tan, together with their beloved Chopstick Hossan Leong, who will take you through over 700 years of island history decked in sequins, feathers and high heels.
“The Dollies will be telling a very naughty version of Singapore's history and everyone loves some naughtiness,” Pam teases. “Singaporeans have already been on a bit of an emotional roller coaster this year, so come watch for a bit of education and a lot of laughter,” adds Denise.
If you’re wondering how this edition will be different from the previous show of the same name eight years ago, Selena explains, “Back in 2007 and 2008, it was a very different Singapore. Now in 2015, with changing political climate and with the old guard gone, we look back on pre-1965 history through a different lens.”
Catch the Dim Sum Dollies in The History of Singapore Part 1 from June 5 to 21 at Esplanade Theatre at 8pm on Tuesdays to Saturdays, and at 3pm on weekends. Tickets are priced from $48 to $148 (excludes booking fee), and are available on SISTIC.
Toggle is giving away 5 pairs of Category 1 tickets (each ticket worth $152) to catch the Dim Sum Dollies: The History of Singapore Part 1, courtesy of Dream Academy Productions.
Date: June 6 (Saturday)
Venue: Esplanade Theatre
Simply answer the following question and 5 correct entries will be picked to win.
Question: Name 3 characters that will make an appearance in The History of Singapore Part 1.
Email your answer together with your name, NRIC, residential address, email address and contact number to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject ‘Toggle Dim Sum Dollies The History of Singapore Part 1’.
Contest ends May 25 and winners will be notified via email. *Terms and conditions apply.
* Terms and Conditions
- The contest is open to Singapore residents only.
- Entries submitted after the deadline will not be entertained.
- Toggle reserves the right to pick final winners. No correspondence will be entertained.
- Entry submission forms that are incomplete will be disqualified.
- Previous week's winners will not be qualified to win.
- You can submit unlimited entries, but each family is entitled to win only once. Same contact address will be considered as the same family.
- Any proof-of-entry printouts cannot be used as proof that Toggle has received your submission.
- Toggle reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the contest without prior notice.
- Winners will be informed via email/phone call from which details of prize collection will be stated.
- Prizes not collected by the given date will be considered null and void.
- Prizes are non-transferable and non-exchangeable for cash.
- By entering the contest, you agree to be informed of any future promotion related to Toggle.