MediaCorp’s The Gift of Song winner Lee Chin Sin whips up a meal for the heart

The 40-year-old chef has emerged as the winner of MediaCorp’s song-writing competition SG50: The Gift of Song with his self-composed ballad ‘These Are The Days’

MediaCorp’s The Gift of Song winner Lee Chin Sin whips up a meal for the heart

Photos: Isadora Ong and MediaCorp
Video: Tay Yixuan

40-year-old Singaporean chef Lee Chin Sin was crowned the winner of MediaCorp’s song-writing competition SG50: The Gift Of Song, organised to celebrate Singapore’s 50th year of independence. The songwriter had won the favour of the judges and the public with his original music composition titled ‘These Are The Days’.

Since the competition’s launch in September last year, MediaCorp has received an overwhelming response of close to 1000 entries by aspiring local songwriters. The songs were then put through the test and three finalists were selected by a panel of judges made up of distinguished media personalities and musicians.

The judges include local renowned musicians Dick Lee, Jeremy Monteiro and Sydney Tan, as well as Mr Bernard Lim, MediaCorp’s Head of Family Segment and Customer Group, Ms Zakiah Halim, Senior Vice-President of MediaCorp Radio’s Malay Broadcast Division, and Ms Georgina Chang, Vice-President of English Programming (Music) at MediaCorp Radio.

Chin Sin’s song emerged as one of the three finalists and was placed in a face-off against two other local original compositions – one titled ‘Being Here’ by duo Dennis Ng and Jared Chan and the other being ‘We Are Stars’ by graphic designer Andrew Lee – where they have to compete to win the most votes from the public.

MediaCorp’s The Gift of Song winner Lee Chin Sin whips up a meal for the heart

Public votes have made up for 60 percent of the result and the remaining 40 percent had come from the judges. It is estimated that more than 65,000 votes were cast in total.

On The 5 Show yesterday evening, Chin Sin was announced the winner and brought home with him a trophy and the prize money of S$10,000.

When asked on his initial reaction upon learning of his victory, the 40-year-old chef and aspiring songwriter admitted that the thought has yet to sink in, but chirped nonetheless, “I have so many feelings for it, but I am very very happy, primarily very happy.”

As the competition was organised to join in the efforts of commemorating Singapore’s 50th birthday, Chin Sin feels deeply honoured to have done his part with his song for the nation.

Would the title of an award-winning composer give him added pressure when he composes more songs in the future?

“Actually, I’m still trying to digest this whole thing. Not so much stress but this is definitely motivating. Many times, song-writing is very subjective and very often, it is hard to know if you are doing well or not,” he shared.

“(It’s) not that you don’t do well when you don’t compete, but this (the competition) is really a very good form of motivation and strong encouragement for someone who writes songs to continue to do it,” he added.


(Click on for the rest of his interview on the next page)

Report a problem