Michael Bay 'bittersweet' at Transformers: The Last Knight premiere

Michael Bay, who has helmed all five of the 'Tranformers' movies, admitted he felt "bittersweet" as the premiere of 'The Last Knight' after announcing he won't be returning to the franchise.

Michael Bay 'bittersweet' at Transformers: The Last Knight premiere

Michael Bay admits the global premiere of 'Transformers: The Last Knight' was "bittersweet".

The 52-year-old director has helmed all five of the 'Transformers' movies since they started back in 2007 but recently revealed he will no longer be involved in the franchise after the fifth movie and at the global premiere in London's Leicester Square on Sunday (18.07.17), Bay said it was "sad".

Speaking to Alex Zane on Facebook Live, he said: "It's sad. It's my last one. Seeing all the characters and actors, it is a little bittersweet."

Although Bay revealed he was no longer attached to the franchise, when asked if he could be persuaded to return he said he needs a "little time" after only finishing the latest instalment "five days ago".

Co-producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura, who also attended the premiere, said he will try and get Bay back on board for the next movie.

He said: "He's left it in a great place and he wants to leave it that way. He has broken the mould with this one and allowed the franchise to possibly carry on in the future.

"I will press on Michael to do one more. We are all going to give it a shot."

Despite Bay not returning to the franchise, Paramount and Hasbro, who own the rights to the brand, are moving ahead with the next movie and are confident they can find the right director to helm the project and stick to their proposed release schedule.

Bay has helmed every instalment in the franchise since the robot toys were brought to the big screen in the first movie which was released in 2007, starring Megan Fox and Shia LaBeouf.

Although he has announced he won't be returning for the sixth instalment, the director has previously stated he would like make an R-rated 'Transformers' movie.

The filmmaker is unsure whether Paramount and Hasbro would be keen to stray into adult territory with the franchise, but the director thinks it would be a good move, especially following the success of 20th Century Fox's 'Deadpool'.

LaBeouf quit the series following his final appearance as Sam Witwicky in third movie 'Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen' which was released in 2009.

Report a problem