Calling all J-horror fans: a new film centring on one of pop culture’s most famous ghosts, the long-haired, well-dwelling Sadako from Ring, is coming to haunt cinemas - and it has gotten a modern upgrade to keep up with our digital, VCR tape-less age (a girl’s gotta find another way to haunt people, right?).
In the new Sadako, we meet Mayu, a psychological counsellor at a hospital who is taking care of a strange young girl, when unusual things start to happen around her. At the same time, her younger brother Kazuma, an aspiring YouTuber, goes missing after supposedly accessing a forbidden website.
During her search for clues, Mayu stumbles upon a video clip that is connected to the young girl under her care, and soon finds herself travelling to an island with her brother’s friend Yusuke. There, they learn of the island’s sad past involving the titular Sadako, Sadako’s mother, and Mayu’s patient.
Sadako is directed by Hideo Nataka (who also helmed the Ring series, Dark Water, and the Death Note-based L: Change the World) and stars Elaiza Ikeda, Takashi Tsukamoto, Hiroya Shimizu, Himeka Himejima, Ren Kiriyama, and Rie Tomosaka.
Sadako opens in cinemas on May 30.
Toggle is giving away 10 pairs of tickets to the premiere of Sadako, courtesy of Encore Films.
Sadako premiere details
Date: May 28 (Tuesday)
Venue: Golden Village Plaza
Simply answer the following question. The first 10 entries with the correct answer will be picked to win. *Terms and conditions apply.
Question: In what year was the original Ring film released?
Email your answer together with your full name as per your NRIC, residential address, and email address to email@example.com with the subject ‘Toggle Sadako’.
Contest ends May 23 and winners will be notified via email.
* Terms and Conditions
- By participating in this contest, you agree to our contest terms and conditions.
- This contest is open only to Singapore residents.
- Entries submitted after the deadline will not be entertained.
- Toggle reserves the right to pick final winners. No correspondence will be entertained.
- Entry submission forms that are incomplete will be disqualified.
- Previous week’s winners are not qualified to win.
- Each family is entitled to win only one contest every seven days. Persons who share the same registered address will be considered as part of the same family.
- Any proof-of-entry printouts cannot be used as proof that Toggle has received your submission.
- Toggle reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the contest without prior notice.
- Winners will be informed via email/phone call from which details of prize collection will be stated.
- Prizes not collected by the given date will be considered null and void.
- Prizes are non-transferable and non-exchangeable for cash.
- By entering the contest, you agree to be informed of any future promotion related to Toggle.