Do you ever look at someone and wonder what’s going on inside their head?
Disney-Pixar’s latest animated delight Inside Out addresses that question by going inside the mind – a.k.a. Headquarters – of 11-year-old Riley Andersen, where a host of colourful (literally) characters, her five Emotions, reside.
There’s bubbly Joy, whose primary goal is to keep Riley happy; fidgety Fear, who is constantly on the lookout for potential disasters in order to keep her safe; fiery red Anger, who wants to make sure things are fair for her; highly opinionated and honest Disgust, who keeps her from getting physically or socially poisoned; and poor misunderstood Sadness, who is actually sweet, loving and has good instincts about stepping in to help Riley.
The film focuses on a difficult time in Riley’s life when her family is forced to relocate to a different city. As she struggles to adjust to life in a new home and school, her team of Emotions try to guide her through this unsettling change.
According to director Pete Doctor, the filmmakers toyed with the idea of including as many as 27 different Emotions, including feelings such as Pride, but when it got too crowded, they ultimately settled on just five. On that note, here are a few more fun facts about the movie:
1. The character of Riley was inspired by the director’s own daughter Ellie. When she was about 11 (the same age as Riley in the film), she switched from being a spirited, spunky kid to one that was more quiet and withdrawn. “It made me think, ‘What’s going on in her head and why is she changing?’” he said.
2. Quite a few sets and items were also in previous Pixar films, such as the background memories on the shelves inside or outside of Riley’s Headquarters (the “Married Life” scene in Up) and the globe in Riley’s classroom (all Toy Story films).
3. One of Riley’s classmates wears a camouflage pattern made up of Toy Story characters.
4. Some of the background city cars of San Francisco have bumper stickers from Cars.
Disney-Pixar’s Inside Out is in cinemas now.
Toggle is giving away 10 sets of Disney-Pixar’s Inside Out movie merchandise! Each set is valued at $102.15 and consists of a kids’ T-shirt, sticker sheet, stress ball and TOMY Core Figure. Simply answer the following question and 10 correct answers will be picked to win:
Question: Name the five Emotions inside Riley’s head.
Email your answer together with your name, NRIC, residential address, address and contact number to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject ‘Toggle Inside Out giveaway’.
Contest ends September 1 and winners will be notified via email. *Terms and conditions apply.
* Terms and Conditions
- The contest is open to Singapore residents only.
- Entries submitted after the deadline will not be entertained.
- Toggle reserves the right to pick final winners. No correspondence will be entertained.
- Entry submission forms that are incomplete will be disqualified.
- Previous week's winners will not be qualified to win.
- You can submit unlimited entries, but each family is entitled to win only once. Same contact address will be considered as the same family.
- Any proof-of-entry printouts cannot be used as proof that Toggle has received your submission.
- Toggle reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the contest without prior notice.
- Winners will be informed via email/phone call from which details of prize collection will be stated.
- Prizes not collected by the given date will be considered null and void.
- Prizes are non-transferable and non-exchangeable for cash.
- By entering the contest, you agree to be informed of any future promotion related to Toggle.
Disney_Pixar’s Inside Out featurette – Animation explanation TOTL0150826008031013