Photos: Golden Village Pictures
Directed and written by Yoo Ha, this South Korean action film is Yoo Ha’s latest instalment that completes his Street Trilogy. GANGNAM BLUES tells the tale of two brother-like orphans who strived to escape poverty but were ultimately forced to go against each other while achieving their dream of becoming wealthy.
The film depicts everyday struggles of people living in Gangnam and traces it development from an ordinary agricultural district to a highly-urbanised and wealthy area in Seoul in his series of films. GANGNAM BLUES, as well as the two previous instalments of the trilogy, was inspired by Yoo Ha’s life while he stayed at the Gangnam district of Seoul in the 1970s.
South Korean heartthrob Lee Min Ho makes his silver screen debut through the film, after being recognised for dishing out some of the most well-liked dramas like Boys Over Flowers and Heirs. The ‘flower-boy’ actor shed the images of his memorable roles and exuded manlier traits in the film as Kim Jong-dae, while veteran actor Kim Rae-won plays Baek Yong-gi, an orphan that Jong-dae befriended.
Set on the backdrop of rampant violence and an increasingly capitalist society, the orphans became brother-like friends and joined the underworld to escape poverty and become rich. The orphans lost contact after Jong-dae was adopted.
Initially, Jong-dae led a simple life with his new family, an ex-gang leader and a younger sister played by girl group AOA’s Seolhyun. However, the hot-blooded teenager, unsatisfied with being poor, joined a new gang against his family’s wishes. Yong-gi, on the other hand, had gained immense power in his gang through his ruthless ways.
In a twist of fate, the orphans met again, but this time as opponents in rival gangs.
Yoo Ha’s central theme of portraying social disparity between the rich and those who live on the fringe of society strings his trilogy as one and GANGNAM BLUES ends the trilogy by accentuating how money inspires violence.
GANGNAM BLUES opens in cinemas on Jan 29, ratings to be advised.
Preview Screening details
Date: 26 Jan 2015 (Monday)
Venue: GV Suntec City
xinmsn is giving away 20 pairs of tickets to the preview screening of GANGNAM BLUES, courtesy of Golden Village Pictures.
Simply answer the following question and 20 correct entries will be picked to win.
Question: What is the name of the character played by Lee Min Ho?
Email your answer together with your name, NRIC, residential address, email address and contact number to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject 'xinmsn GANGNAM BLUES’.
Contest ends Jan 23 and winners will be notified via email. *Terms and conditions apply.
* Terms and Conditions
- The contest is open to Singapore residents only.
- Entries submitted after the deadline will not be entertained.
- xinmsn reserves the right to pick final winners. No correspondence will be entertained.
- Entry submission forms that are incomplete will be disqualified.
- Previous week's winners will not be qualified to win.
- You can submit unlimited entries, but each family is entitled to win only once. Same contact address will be considered as the same family.
- Any proof-of-entry printouts cannot be used as proof that xinmsn has received your submission.
- xinmsn reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the contest without prior notice.
- Winners will be informed via email/phone call from which details of prize collection will be stated.
- Prizes not collected by the given date will be considered null and void.
- Prizes are non-transferable and non-exchangeable for cash.
- By entering the contest, you agree to be informed of any future promotion related to xinmsn.
WIN preview tickets to GANGNAM BLUES
We have 20 pairs of preview tickets to give away!
- Lee Min Ho Kim Rae-Won Gangnam Blues