Photos: Shaw Organisation
What would you do if you were told that the world as you think it is is larger than you think? Five-year-old Jack (Jacob Tremblay) has spent his entire life with his young mother Ma (Brie Larson) in the Room - a tiny living area which comprises of a bed, toilet, bathtub and simplest of kitchens.
Their only link to the outside world is a skylight on their ceiling, but Ma wants to change all that. Their captor, Old Nick, is out of work and short on cash and she knows that escaping is vital to their survival.
Jack manages to escape by following his mother’s instructions and Ma is soon rescued from her prison – only to discover that going back to the real world isn’t as simple as they think it is.
The little boy misses the Room where he grew up and doesn’t know how to connect with people and life in general; Ma’s father can’t deal with the fact that his 17-year-old daughter disappeared one day and emerged seven years later with a son in tow.
Can Jack and Ma truly integrate with the real world or were they better off living in the Room? This highly suspenseful and deeply emotional drama-thriller will bring its audience on an exploration of the boundless love between a mother and her child.
The critically acclaimed film has also been nominated for three Golden Globe Awards – Best Motion Picture (Drama), Best Screenplay, and Best Actress (Drama): Brie Larson.
Room opens in cinemas on January 14 and is rated PG13 for some coarse language.
Toggle is giving away 20 pairs of tickets to the preview screening of Room, courtesy of Shaw Organisation.
Preview screening details
Date: Jan 11 (Monday)
Venue: Shaw Theatres Lido
Simply answer the following question and 20 correct answers will be chosen to win.
Question: Name any one of the Golden Globe Awards categories in which Room is nominated for.
Email your answer together with your name, NRIC, residential address, email address and contact number to email@example.com with the subject ‘Toggle Room’.
Contest ends Jan 5 and winners will be notified via email. *Terms and conditions apply.
* Terms and Conditions
- The contest is open to Singapore residents only.
- Entries submitted after the deadline will not be entertained.
- Toggle reserves the right to pick final winners. No correspondence will be entertained.
- Entry submission forms that are incomplete will be disqualified.
- Previous week's winners will not be qualified to win.
- You can submit unlimited entries, but each family is entitled to win only once. Same contact address will be considered as the same family.
- Any proof-of-entry printouts cannot be used as proof that Toggle has received your submission.
- Toggle reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the contest without prior notice.
- Winners will be informed via email/phone call from which details of prize collection will be stated.
- Prizes not collected by the given date will be considered null and void.
- Prizes are non-transferable and non-exchangeable for cash.
- By entering the contest, you agree to be informed of any future promotion related to Toggle.