Suge Knight was attacked by a man with a gun during a parking lot confrontation, it has been claimed.
The Death Row Records co-founder is currently remanded in custody over allegations he murdered businessman Terry Carter and attempted to murder Cle 'Bone' Sloan by running them over with his car following an altercation in January but his lawyer claims video footage shows there were several people armed with weapons when he was attacked outside a burger stand in Compton.
The video has not been shown in court, but mention of its existence formed part of a bid by attorney Thomas Mesereau to have his famous client's bail reduced from $10 million.
The lawyer's filing states: "Mr. Sloan was armed, as were others. Weapons are visible on the video provided to the court.
"This video shows (Knight) being viciously attacked and fleeing for his life. Most significantly, the video discloses one of his attackers brandishing a weapon. When this armed attacker dropped his gun, the video depicts an associate retrieving the weapon and placing it in his waistband."
It is not yet known if it will be shown in court at a bail hearing set for July 17.
The motion also claimed that rap mogul's criminal history has been overstated by prosecutors, and was accompanied by more than 30 letters from friends, family and associates describing him as a kind, charitable man.
In a separate motion, the lawyer is also seeking private medical care for his client, who suffers from diabetes, high blood pressure, is blind in one eye and partially-sighted in the other, and has been told he may have a brain tumour.
However, despite previously complaints about Knight's medical care behind bars, Superior Court Judge Ronald Coen told the lawyer before the motion was filed that he was unlikely to order sheriff's officials to change conditions behind bars.
He said: "My view is that I run this courtroom and the sheriff runs the jail."